Appetizer: Melone e Proscuitto
This is a simple and yummy Italian classic. All you need is slices of melon (I usually use canteloupe, but have used honeydew as well), which you wrap with thinly sliced prosciutto (Italian cured ham). I think it tastes better to refrigerate them together for a couple of hours.
Salad: Insalate Caprese
There are many ways to serve this dish, but the basic elements are fresh mozzarella cheese (comes in a very soft, white ball packaged with liquid), tomatoes and basil. You can serve slices of tomato and cheese with whole leaves on top. I cut the tomatoes and cheese into small cubes, chopped the basil leaves, and drizzled the whole shebang with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and balsalmic vinegar.
Side Dish: Spaghetti di zucca primavera:
The recipe below is for the Primavera sauce. Primavera means spring, and you can use any spring vegetables to make this. For a healthy twist, I served the sauce over baked spaghetti squash, but you can also use whole wheat pasta for a healthy dish (or regular pasta). I prefer fresh spices for a more robust flavor:
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
6 oz. tomato paste
3/4 c. broccoli florets
3/4 c. carrots, thinly sliced
3/4 c. onion, sliced (or chopped)
1/2 c. zucchini, cut into chunks
1/2 c. green bell pepper, sliced
1/2 c. red bell pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I minced mine and added 4 cloves - i loves me some garlic!)
2 bay leaves
1 Tblsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup water (I added a little more water)
In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Heat just to boiling, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until all vegetables are tender, approximately 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Meat: Pollo Limetta
6 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 black pepper, freshly ground
4 Tblsp lime juice
1/4 cup dry white wine
9 Tbs olive oil (I cut this to 5 Tblsp and added an extra 4 Tblsp of white wine)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 garlic clove
Mix together the lime juice, wine, olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, and garlic clove in either a bowl or a resealable bag.
Add the chicken breasts and cover the bowl or seal the bag.
Place the chicken in the refrigerator. Allow the chicken to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
Place the chicken in an oven proof dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken.
Cook the chicken for 30-40 minutes at 350F.
Remove and serve with the sauce.
Sorry there aren't pictures, but hope you enjoy these!
Joan
2 comments:
This was one of the best Italian meals I have ever had. You have to try this whole meal it is to die for and health too.
I really want to try this!!!
Post a Comment